I love to eat pizza on the weekends and I’ve been wanting to try a cauliflower crust. Since I don’t have a food processor I bought a pre-made Whole Foods 365 brand Cauliflower Crust and added whole tomatoes, pesto, caramelized onions and peppers, mozzarella, and ‘meatballs’ from Gardein. I definitely went over-the-top with my add-on toppings, because some of the peppers and onions were falling off the slice as I was eating! It was still fun to have extra vegetables to eat off my plate at the end of the meal!
I sautéed a green pepper and onion in my favorite cast-iron pan with salt and pepper until the pieces are caramelized, and used left-over whole peeled tomatoes from my Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup, some pesto already in the fridge, and cooked ‘Meatless Meatballs’ from Gardein (my new absolute obsession!). If you want to make your own meatballs, you can my my favorite Vegetable-Stuffed Meatballs.
1 Cauliflower Crust
3 Whole-Peeled Tomatoes (You could also use a drizzle of tomato sauce)
2 Tbsp. Pesto (I used Gotham Greens Pesto)
10 Bocconcini (AKA small balls of mozzarella – you could substitute your favorite kind of cheese in small slices or shredded)
1 Green Pepper (Of course if you prefer red, yellow or orange peppers use those instead)
½ White or Yellow Onion
4 Meatballs (I used my new addiction – Gardein ‘Meatless Meatballs’)
- Cook ‘meatballs’ according to instructions if using pre-made, or follow my meatball recipe. Preheat oven to broil.
- In a small pan on medium heat, add canola oil, and then the onion and green pepper with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook down the onion and green pepper until almost caramelized, or about 7-10 minutes, stirring often so that the vegetables don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. If the vegetables start to get too brown, or burnt looking, turn the heat off.
- Top the pizza crust* with pieces of tomato (I cut them into quarters – but if you have someone in your family that doesn’t like pieces of tomatoes, you can substitute for a regular tomato sauce), drizzle the pesto on top and place the cheese around the crust evenly.
- Broil the pizza for about 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Halve the meatballs, adding them along with the green pepper and onion to the top of the pizza. Add back to the oven, on a lower shelf, for just 2-minutes.
- Cut into as many slices as you’d like and enjoy!
*If you use a pizza dough, cook it at 500ºF (preheat oven for about 30-minutes before cooking) and then cook between 10-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the dough, and then continue with the steps of the recipe!