I surprisingly am not one to crave a sweet food after eating dinner. I’ve also seen cool breads all over Instagram, and really wanted to try one for myself. This blueberry lemon poppyseed bread is the perfect treat for those who want a lighter dessert after dinner. Did I mention it’s also #vegan??It’s not too sweet and adding a yogurt on top is a great creamy addition. I enjoyed this vegan dessert after making my vegan Sweet Potato, Kale and Black Bean Enchiladas. I would also love eating this for breakfast; Brunch anyone?!
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
½ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
2 ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
½ Cup Coconut Sugar
2 Tbsp. Poppyseed
1 Cup Almond Milk
⅓ Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Blueberries (frozen is preferred)
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Lemon (zest and juice of ½)
Greek or Vegan yogurt (I bought a vanilla flavored yogurt, but any combination could work!)
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, oats, baking powder, sugar, poppyseed, lemon zest and a pinch of salt together in a large mixing bowl. (Zest the lemon before cutting into a separate small bowl. This actually makes the lemon even juicier and it’s much easier to zest).
- Add the almond milk, juice of half of the lemon, olive oil and vanilla extract, and mix.
- Add the blueberries, gently stirring together the mixture. Pour into the loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar to add an extra little crunch and caramelization.
- Bake for about 45min. or until a toothpick can be poked inside and come out clean.
- Let the bread cool completely before taking out and placing onto a tray or plate. Top with a generous amount of yogurt.
- Dig In!